Sunday, April 17, 2011

Salt Lake City Marathon

I had the great opportunity to get to run another race with my sister's. This was my sister Janice's 15th marathon and Frances' first. This is not one I specifically trained for but thought I couldn't pass an opportunity to run with my girls.

At the last minute, my darling hubby jumped into the race to join the party. He just always impresses me with his ability to just do things without training. I think his longest run was 14 miles in February.

The weather turned out very nice, started in the 40's and ended in the 50's. We did have maybe 2-3 minutes of rain but wasn't bad. I just missed my visor that I normally wear. I was sporting the cute "Active Band" that my sister made us to coordinate with our outfits.

I wanted to use this day to test my nutrition. To begin the day, I had one packet of oatmeal and about half a mango. I took two sport legs hour before race start. I planned to take a gel every hour. At all the water station's I only took water(I have a hard time with a lot of Poweraide). I was able to eat according to plan, I ate a strawberry flavored Accel gel the third hour and found out I don't like that flavor. Good thing to know before I bought more. At hour three, I took my two thermo lytes and they seemed to settle ok. I didn't have an appetite at hour four, but at my last gel anyway. Glad I did, it tasted good(vanilla) and I thing it kept me going the last 30 min.
Race Stats:
Distance: 26.2
Time: 4:32
Avg HR: 171
Max HR: 189

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again so much for running with me the whole time. I know that the 3 of you could have been done almost an hour earlier but it helped so much to have you there cheering me on and giving me encouraging words. I love you tons!

    ReplyDelete